You can use a scanner/imager to read Item codes.
For the codes themselves, you can use any of the following
- 1D (linear bar codes)
- 2D (matrix codes - like QR or DataMatrix)
- RFID tags
- DPM (Direct Part Mark)
- Human readable codes
Here are some good questions to ask when selecting a bar code scanner or reader:
- Should it be corded or cordless?
- How will it connect to the computer or device: Bluetooth or USB?
- Will we need to scan only linear bar codes (the kind with straight bars) or 2D codes?
- How rugged should the scanner be? Light, medium, or industrial? Does it need to stand up to dirt or water?
- What should be the scanning range (how far do we want to be from the target)?
- Should it be a handheld scanner, or will we want it to be mounted?